Tuesday, February 23, 2021

BRIEF ENCOUNTER


BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Two women and a man

Were pushing a trolley 

Along 108th Street

I followed them a bit

And then I asked them

If I could take a picture 

One of the women smiled and nodded

Her smile was quiet and gentle

In a world where most

Wear masks 

It was a rare sight  to see

Especially from a stranger

They stopped on the sidewalk

I focused my lens

On the bags full of cans and

Plastic bottles

After I finished taking the picture 

Feeling awkward for intruding

In their lives

I commented

That it must've taken a lot of work

To gather everything

The man with the glove

 In the photo adjusting the bags  

Took a deep breath and said:

Almost apologetically in Spanish

Something like:

"Well, sometimes we have to do what

we have to do to survive."

If I was a genie I would've 

Granted them a wish

Any wish

But instead I watched them struggle

To move the trolley

Along on the sidewalk

As they continued on their way

And I did the same

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of cans! We all gotta do what we gotta do to survive. Somebody said: "There is honor in labor."

    ReplyDelete
  2. An American Futurist, Alex Steffen on Sustainability and future of the planet says: "There is no such thing as garbage, just useful stuff in the wrong place." This being said, I respect the people mentioned in the "Brief Encounter" narrative and anybody, for helping us clean up the environment and doing a job nobody wants. If they make money out of it, so much the better. It's a win-win situation!. For all their hard work they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete