Monday, November 15, 2021

PFC LAURENCE STRACK MEMORIAL POND


PFC LAURENCE STRACK MEMORIAL POND

Walking along Woodhaven Boulevard

I saw a sign for Strack Pond

My first instinct was just to keep going

As I was getting hungry

But I decided to stop and see

Actually the trail was only a few steps away

And right as I entered into the woodlands

The world suddenly changed

The busy street disappeared

I was in another place

Tranquil

With a completely different rhythm

Strack pond is named after a young soldier

Laurence Strack  from Woodhaven 

Who was killed in Vietnam in 1967

To honor him they built two ballfields

Where the pond now stands

Later it was brought back to its natural state

So that today you can spend 

A few relaxing minutes

Away from the hustle and bustle nearby

Who knew?

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment