Monday, June 21, 2021

TWA HOTEL

TWA HOTEL

As I rushed into the old TWA terminal 

Turned into a hotel  in 2019 with over 

Five hundred rooms and a rooftop infinity pool

In JFK airport (formerly Idlewild)

I felt  I was living in a time warp

Somewhere in the 1960's

(The main building was designed

 By architect Eero Saarinen in 1962)

But I was worrying about 

How long I could keep 

My car in the lot

Thinking I would take a quick peek inside

I had not used a valet to park

So while I looked around

Saw the vintage uniforms displayed up close

And could see a 1950's

Lockheed Constellation (Connie)

L-1649 Starliner airplane

Through the large window

Appreciated how they meticulously

Brought back many original details

Such as the ceramic floor tiles 

Red carpets in the hallways

And rotary pay phones (10cents a call)

I also noticed my car was 

Facing the wrong way

I had parked forward first 

Instead of in reverse

The valets would spot it right away

I decided I had seen enough

Would return another time

(Maybe stay as a guest )

So I ran out of the terminal/hotel

Backed up my car carefully

And quickly headed to the exit

 

1 comment: