Sunday, January 31, 2021

SPELLING


 

SPELLING

I was in 5-5

The way my elementary school 

PS 206

Placed students in classes

Was by grades

The best grades went to 5-1

The worst grades went to 5-5

We would participate in spelling bees

With other classes

And it usually ended up me 

Against ten of the students 

From the other class

If it was 5-5 against 5-1

It might've been twenty against me

I don't know if I won any

But I was the class superstar when

It came to spelling bees

So I was chosen to represent

5-5 in the school spelling bee

All my classmates were pumping me up

This was a chance to show the school

5-5 was as good as the other classes

If not better

The first word I got was:

A B S T A C T

I blew it!

There was nothing abstract about it

A concrete failure

 I still remember the look the 

Teacher gave me as I was walking 

Down from the stage of the auditorium

To my seat with the rest of 5-5

L O S E R


 

No comments:

Post a Comment