Monday, May 31, 2021

ARCADE

 

ARCADE

I went to find an arcade

When I was a kid 

We would take the Q53 bus

On 63rd Drive 

In front of Woolworth

All the way to Rockaway Beach

The last stop

Was 116th Street

There before you got to the beach

Was an arcade

While they had many games

My favorite was Skee-ball

You rolled a ball

Up an inclined lane

And try to land it in 

In one of the rings

Where you received  points

Then you would redeem 

The points for a prize

Because of the arcade

116th Street seemed like a fair

Combined with the beach

It made for a great summer day

Unfortunately after not going back

To 116th Street in many many years

I found the arcade half-shuttered

And everything else next to it 

Closed down

Maybe they're ready to put up a building

But I felt like someone had stolen

Something from me

Didn't they realize how perfect it was?

Those kids getting off the bus 

This summer will never know

What fun they missed 

At least they still have the beach 

For now

 

No comments:

Post a Comment